Saturday, March 3, 2012

Planned Parenthood

Most of the time my posts are stories about my lovely love life or my frustrations with my ex. Today I am taking a different tone here and I hope if you are reading you bear with me. I tend to try to keep my politics to myself bc I am a liberal surrounded by conservatives. Mind you I love all of these conservatives dearly I just utterly disagree with them. I don't want to cause strain so I simply avoid topics that I know are going to cause disagreements. But lately I have heard a lot about planned parenthood and its all driving me nuts.

Planned Parenthood is not simply an abortion provider, yes that is a legal service they provide, but they also provide MANY more services to help women with low incomes get the healthcare they so desperately need. I find it appalling that bc they provide abortions people are willing to write off the good they do. When Susan G Komen decided to pull their grant money from Planned Parenthood, I was pissed bc clearly they were bowing to the conservative view point and didn't pay attention to the laws and what the money from their grants actually went to which is breast cancer screening. That just so happens to be what SGK is all about, right?

SGK did reverse their position and give the grants back to planned parenthood after a public outcry but it doesn't appear that it was a permanent reversal but just for this year. I wonder what will happen next year will they continue to give grants to PP or drop the line item from their budget?

No comments: