Monday, January 31, 2011

To protest or not to protest?

I am the type of person who stands up for what I believe in, there is a charity in the neighborhood I grew up in that does good work but when they moved in were not nice to the neighborhood so I don't give them money, I find other places to help. I don't shop at one specific store if I can avoid it bc of the way the company treats their employees.

These are personal choices I have made and try to stick by them. I can shop elsewhere and spend a bit more at another store, I can donate to other organizations that do the same thing in the community other than the one that I find to be rude.

Now the question becomes should I boycott every organization that doesn't share the same beliefs as I do? So should I stop shopping at my favorite store bc they gave a candidate money who has taken an opposing side than I on one issue? Should I not go to the fast food place down the street bc they gave free food to an organization that I don't agree with? Where would it end? Not everyone is going to agree with what I believe, hell my parents and I argue all the time about certain issues, should I boycott them? Isn't that what made this country what it is today...freedom. So maybe I don't donate to the companies charities that I don't like but should I stop going to them all together?

I am conflicted over this and am not sure which way I feel is right to go...

No comments: